Thank you for visiting Great Homes of Orange County. We created this simple blog for our friends and neighbors to share the people, places, art, culture, news, and lifestyle that makes Orange County a great place to live, work, and play.
Lately, we’ve been tweeting on Twitter on the local news, entertainment, interesting architecture, and fun things to do around town. Check us out at https://twitter.com/ocland
What makes someone a bad mother? If you ask the guys who made The Hangover—and really, why wouldn’t you?—it’s doing shots, falling off bar stools, taking down the bossy PTA president and going out in public with your kid’s spaghetti lunch dripping down your blouse. The new movie Bad Moms stars Mila Kunis as the…
via A Brief, Unfunny History of Bad Moms — TIME
The Contigo Autoseal West Loop is one of the most popular travel mugs out there and today we have notable prices around $12 and $13 with free shipping for Prime members or in orders over $49. There are a few different color options listed below, all of which are at the lowest prices we can…
via Those extremely popular Contigo stainless steel travel mugs are now available from $12 Prime shipped in multiple colors — 9to5Toys
Early detection is critical with skin cancer, but how, exactly, abnormal growths should be screened for is up for debate. The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) says that there isn’t enough evidence that screening can lower incidence of skin cancer or deaths from the disease. That doesn’t mean that the visual test of the…
via Skin Cancer Screenings Don’t Reduce Deaths: Expert Panel — TIME
Friends in our Newport Beach neighborhood have recently become victims of residential burglary.
Burglars are breaking windows to get in.
Here are some great Home Security Tips from the Newport Beach Police Department we wanted to share with you:
- Always lock your windows and doors when you go out, even if for only a few minutes.
If you return home and find your pedestrian door that leads into your home locked, and you are certain that you left it unlocked, DO NOT GO INSIDE!
- Call 9-1-1 ~ Burglars often lock this door to slow down a victim, allowing the burglar extra time to get out of the home before the resident enters.
- If your home is equipped with an alarm, always activate it even if you’re only going out for a short walk.
- Consider adding a motion sensor in your master bedroom/bathroom, which will activate the alarm if someone comes in through a glass window or door without opening it.
- Always keep your front and rear porch lights on from dusk to dawn and use motion detector lighting along the sides of your home or areas with little foot traffic.
- Use timers on indoor lamps to give the appearance that you are home.
- Adjust window coverings for optimal privacy while maintaining good visibility outside.
- If your garage door has a remote shutoff button on the wall-mounted control, located in the garage, consider locking the door nightly. This will prevent your garage door from being opened remotely.
- If you have a safe, make sure that it is properly bolted to concrete so that it cannot be easily removed.
- Always close and lock your safe and never leave a key or combination out or in an easy to find location (i.e. office, nightstand, etc).
- When you leave on vacation, remember to call the Police Department for a “Vacation
- Check” 949-644-3681 or sign-up online at http://www.nbpd.org. Also, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to pick up your newspaper and mail while you are away.
For more information on securing your home, please click on this link: HOME SECURITY TIPS
Report all suspicious activity by calling the Newport Beach Police Department at 949-644-3717.
A large portion of near-future homebuyers are millenials
A recent national survey by Experian revealed opportunities for businesses to build relationships with future homebuyers before they’re ready to obtain a loan. Insights include:
• 35% of future buyers said they don’t know what steps to take to qualify for a larger loan
• 75% of future buyers are not preapproved for a home loan
• 29% of those surveyed would purchase a more expensive home if they had better credit and could qualify for a larger loan
A large portion of near-future homebuyers are millennials. Building relationships with this generation now will benefit financial institutions in the future.
More: Experian Consumer Homebuying Survey 2016
After a Royal Navy pilot completed a 300-mile drive from Birmingham to the British air base Culdrose, he heard “meows” coming from inside his BMW. Lt. Nick Grimmer and his colleagues disassembled the car and found a tiny (and unharmed) kitten hiding out inside the bumper.
The group, which is part of the 814 Naval Air Squadron, a.k.a. “the Flying Tigers,” has nicknamed the kitten “Tigger,” the BBC reports. Grimmer said he’s looking for the rightful owners, but in the meantime, he’s bonded with the kitten.
“The place he has felt most comfortable is in my flying helmet,” he said, “which is the only place he is able to sleep.”
via This Intrepid Kitten Travels 300 Miles Inside the Bumper of a Car — TIME